Welcome to the first entry in August’s Mega Mod Contest. One Mega Mod will be published in every Email Alert in August. At the end of the month, we’ll hold a reader vote to determine August’s winner. Click here for information about the 2021 Mod Contest, including how to enter.
Gilles Croteau, Saint-Sauveur, Quebec
Tile Shower, Cabinets Narrowed, And New Bathroom Door
2020 GMC Sierra 3500
2006 Arctic Fox 1150
We wanted to improve the space in our shower. Also, the space in our washroom was restricted.
To fix this situation, I completely gutted out our Arctic Fox camper’s washroom. I took this opportunity to better insulate the wall behind the bathroom cabinets by adding styrofoam and bubble wrap.
I made the counter and cabinet narrower. When we sit on the toilet, there is more space now. Then I put back the original cabinets and stained them.
I also replaced the sink with a stainless sink and put it in sideways for more counter space.
The storage in our cabinets is about the same, it’s just a bit less deep. I lost the space under the sink but was able to fit a door on the bottom side of the cabinet.
The shower was our main renovation. I took out the shower and rebuilt it completely. Then I tiled the bottom and rebuilt the walls.
We had a fiberglass shower stall with a step incorporated in it, which we did not like very much. We could not stand up straight in the middle of the shower.
So we took out the shower stall. I put wood on the walls and slanted the shower floor slightly so water goes toward the drain. I applied a lightweight pliable waterproof membrane and vapor-retarder designed for a direct application of the tiles. The tiles are from Schlüte-Kerdi.
We watched YouTube videos for instructions on proper installation. Then, we tiled the bottom of the shower and incorporated a hidden drain.
The walls are covered with polystyrene sheets which are very lightweight. With the leftover sheets, we covered the wall where the medicine cabinet is to give it a sleeker look.
For the shower, we found a Schlüte-Kerdi product and got information for the installation online.
Finally, I took the sliding door off and cut it in half. We used leftover oil paint that we had and bought hinges to give it a barn door look.
We recycled a lot of the materials to make this modification. It took me 100-hours to complete and cost me $1,500. In my opinion, the skill level of this modification is medium to hard.
Disclaimer: The modifications above are submitted by Truck Camper Magazine readers. It is your responsibility to make sure that any do-it-yourself modification project you undertake is safe, effective, and legal for your situation.
Enter Your Mods Now!
If you’d like to enter a modification you’ve done on your truck camper, click here. You can enter as many mods as you want, at any time. Good luck mod makers!