Welcome to the PowerMod truck camper mod contest, sponsored by Goal Zero. One mod will be published in every Email Alert in February. At the end of the month, a reader vote will determine a winner. Click for information about the 2024 PowerMod Contest, including how to enter.
Debbie Lucas, Lansing, Michigan
Overhead Cabinet Switch Up
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2018 Palomino SS-550
I wanted to improve the “no woman’s land” in the middle of the upper cupboards of our 2018 Palomino SS-550 pop-up camper.
Above: The before picture of the over-the-dinette cabinets
I was tired of having to take all of the stuff out of one side of the cupboard to gain access to the stuff in the center of the cupboard. Then, I’d have to put it all back in only to have to take it all back out again when it came time to return the thing I got out.
I wanted to remove the center section, but wasn’t sure if that was doable without destroying the cupboards.
To investigate, I took a picture of the rear of the center cupboard area. That in itself was a feat. It’s hard to get the camera at the correct angle in such a small space when you can’t see what you are pointing at. After several attempts both with video and still shots, I was finally able to get a good view of what I was up against.
I could see that the thin paneling was attached with staples. No glue, thank goodness! I could also see the 1 x 4 wood was attached with four screws. Again no glue, thank goodness! After seeing that, I thought the mod was doable without damaging the existing cupboard.
I proceeded to remove the paneling pieces first, since they were on top of the 1 x 4. That was easy. I just sort of gently punched it with the palm of my hand several times and it popped right off. It didn’t damage the paneling or the cupboard.
I then used a Phillips screwdriver to remove the four screws holding the 1 x 4. That was another feat. The side cupboards are small so you can’t get your head in there to see what you are doing. I had to do everything by feeling my way around with the tip of the screwdriver. It wasn’t that bad; just awkward.
After everything was removed, I had total access to the center. Yippee! But there was a problem. If I left it that way, anything put there would surely fly out as well as all of the stuff from the side cupboards. Hmmm… now what?
So I came up with the idea of using the 1 x 4 that I just removed. I just slid it flush to the bottom and sides then screwed it in. Problem solved!
Now I can access stuff in the middle of the cupboard and stuff won’t fly out. It looks original because I was able to reuse the original 1 x 4. I still have the paneling just in case we ever need it for someplace else in the camper.
This mod has worked fabulously! Because the wood is 4 inches tall, nothing can fly out. I can access everything in the center with ease. There is no more taking all of the stuff out of the side cupboard just to get one thing out from the center.
I reused the material I removed. I didn’t have to add anything extra. So other than my time, it was a mod that didn’t cost me a thing.
It went quickly once I got the pictures to see if it was doable. It probably took an hour for each cupboard.
Disclaimer: The modifications above are submitted by Truck Camper Magazine readers. It is your responsibility to make sure that any do-it-yourself modification project you undertake is safe, effective, and legal for your situation.
Enter Your Mods Now!
If you’d like to enter a modification you’ve done on your truck camper, click here. You can enter as many mods as you want, at any time. Good luck mod makers!