Welcome to the seventh entry in October’s Medium Mod Contest. One Medium Mod will be published in every Email Alert in October At the end of the month, we’ll hold a reader vote to determine October’s winner. Click here for information about the 2021 Mod Contest, including how to enter.
David Romero, Shreveport, Louisiana
Modified Sink Drain To Allow Access to Cabinet
2017 Ram 2500
2017 Cirrus 820
I did not take pictures prior to making the changes. I was getting the drain out and I totally overlooked taking a “before” picture.
In the above picture, you will see the opening at the front of the cabinet next to the wasp spray. That is where the original drain pipe came up through the cabinet. It blocked about 5-inches of the doorway for access. You now see where the plumbing resides. I moved it tight to the left cabinet wall. It is now tight to that wall and the front facia of the cabinet.
I know you can’t tell from the pictures, but I raised the P-trap about 3.5-inches at the same time. The pots you see below the P-Trap were touching the bottom of it. I can now add my cast iron frying pan below the pots and a folding bucket on top and I still have room on top of the pots.
The picture above is looking down into the false wall that houses the drain and Alde heating lines. You can see how much new drain line I added to move it out of the doorway. This made a huge difference for access. Before we could not put our pots in through the door without twisting, fighting, and articulating them to get them past the drain line.
If anybody from nuCamp RV reads this, take note. I will gladly pay you a few dollars more to correctly install these lines and make our life so much more enjoyable. It’s all about the experience.
In this picture, you can see that I added almost 4-inches of rise to the drain line to increase the height at the P-trap.
This photo shows the addition to the top drain line. This allows the swiveling of the line further back and to the left to again allow for a much larger opening in the cabinet.
I cut a piece of 1/8-inch hard polycarbonate plastic to cover the area and attached it with stainless steel screws.
This is a simple mod and took about an hour to do. This modification was under $10, but has been one of the best mods for our cabinet storage. This has really opened up storage room. More than anything, it gave very easy access to the increased storage area.
Disclaimer: The modifications above are submitted by Truck Camper Magazine readers. It is your responsibility to make sure that any do-it-yourself modification project you undertake is safe, effective, and legal for your situation.
Enter Your Mods Now!
If you’d like to enter a modification you’ve done on your truck camper, click here. You can enter as many mods as you want, at any time. Good luck mod makers!