Question Of The Week

Truck and Camper Insurance Reports

This week’s Question of the Week was, “Do you insure your truck camper separately, as part of your truck insurance, or not at all?”  109 Truck Camper Magazine readers reveal their truck camper insurance situation.

“I insure my camper separately through the Personal Insurance Company.  I am proceeding with my first claim on the camper and so far they have not disputed it being covered.” – Steven Gasser, 2013 Dodge Ram 3500, 2003 Adventurer 90FWS

“We are insured by adding the camper onto our auto policy, specified by manufacturer, model, and serial number.  I was told to be certain that it’s covered for damage when not on the vehicle.  My agent assures me that it is.  I haven’t had to find out, thank goodness!” – John and Marylou Wells, 2011 Chevy 3500HD, 2012 Chalet Ascent S100F

“No we don’t insure the camper separately.  The camper has the same coverage as the truck and is considered part of the truck.” – Lori Hall, 2010 Ford F-250, 2012 Wolf Creek 850

“The camper is insured separately.  Progressive is the carrier.  Our independent agent says the camper is covered under the truck policy only when the camper is on the truck.  It may be under my homeowners policy if something happens while at home and off the truck.  The separate insurance is for damage that happens to the camper while off the truck and not at home, or so he says!” – Mike, 2010 Silverado 2500HD, 2003 Elkhorn 8R

“It is part of our truck insurance through USAA Insurance.” – Phil Berglund, 2010 Ford F-150, 2013 Palomino 6601

“I insure the camper separately through American General Insurance (Good Sams).  I am not happy with their service.  We were in a bad hail storm in Amarillo, Texas two weeks ago, and it broke windows in my camper and dented my truck.  The insurance charged two deductibles; one for the truck, and one for the camper.  I still haven’t had the glass replaced.  I even called the factory and got the part numbers for them.  They told me to take the truck to a paint-less repair facility.” – George Baker, 2003 Ford F450, 2008 Arctic Fox 990

“Apparently, my camper insurance is a rider on my truck insurance for a fee of $29 per six months.  It’s through State Farm.  My agent had to call underwriting and explain it.  I was on hold for thirty minutes, and then was told it can be added at no fee.  Then later I got a $29 charge.  Exasperating, but I do have it in writing that the camper is covered, with the make, model, and value stated.” – D. Brown, 2014 Ford F350, 2014 Lance 855S

“The camper is added to the truck policy.” – Linda Carstens, 2012 Ford F-350, 2014 Lance 1050S

“We have not insured the campers at all.  We’ve owned four pop-up campers.  Our current one we bought used in 2005 and have never felt the need to insure it.  When you buy a used camper only to scratch and dent it off-road, it hardly seems worth it to go through the Wah-wa-wahhh hassle.  Especially, as you pointed out in your lead-in, that you’re not even sure it’s covered even after paying to insure it.  The truck?  Absolutely!  Camper?  Nah.” – Cliff and Susie Kellogg, 2006 Chevy 2500 HD, 1999 Apache pop-up

“The camper is insured and listed separately on my policy.  Several years ago, when the camper was in storage, a tree limb fell causing a roof leak.  The entire front end of the camper had to be rebuilt, which was approximately $9,000.  The insurance had no problem paying and actually told me to find any repair shop I wanted.  I have Cincinnati Insurance Company in Cincinnati, Ohio.  The agency I use is, Hosket & Ulen, LLC in Dublin, Ohio.  I have used these guys for years and have never had a problem with any of my insurance needs.” – Jim Dozieer, 2009 GMC Sierra 3500 HD, 2006 Arctic Fox Silver Fox Edition

“The Arctic Fox is covered as part of the truck insurance.  We use State Farm and we had a $14,000+ claim on the camper last year due to leakage and major repair.  After a $1,000 deductible, it was fixed perfectly.” – Marv and Julie Krueger, 2004 Chevy Silverado 3500, 2005 Arctic Fox 1150B

“I have State Farm insurance and they were able to add it to my truck insurance for a fairly small premium.  Progressive offered a quote but it was nearly $400 per year, which seemed very expensive.” – Michael Dunaway, 2013 Ford F350, 2010 Lance 855

“My camper is on the same policy as my truck, but it is listed separately.  I use Cincinnati Insurance.  It took a few minutes to explain to them what I wanted insured.  When they finally understood it was more than a camper shell, and I told them how much it cost, they added it and assured me that it was covered even when separated from the truck.  I just recently purchased the truck, camper, and policy, so I may do some reading to assure myself that I am covered as expected.” – Lance Martin, 2015 Ford F250, 2014 Palomino HS6601

“The camper is insured as part of my All State truck policy.  I specifically sent them a copy of my bill of sale so they knew what they were insuring and what it cost new.  In this area of Colorado (north of Denver) there are many new and used camper businesses and manufacturers, so slide-in-truck campers are quite well know here.  I also noted it was listed on the policy.” – Larry Petty, 2012 Ford F150 Super Crew, 2012 Hallmark Milner

“Not at all.” – Roy Bertalotto, 1998 Palomino Bronco

“The camper is insured as part of the truck, I think.” – Jerry Sheffield, 2014 Ford F-350, 2014 Lance 1172

“My camper is covered by my truck insurance when it is on my truck, and then covered by my homeowners’s policy when off the truck.” – Henry Nelsen, 2007 Toyota Tundra, 2012 Northstar Liberty

“Not at all.” – Wayne Weeks, 1999 Ford F-150, 2006 Apache

“Not at all.  I was told it would be covered under homeowners if it was damaged in the garage.  I have State Farm and I’m looking for another company now.” – Hugh Benscoter, 2005 Ford F250, 2009 Phoenix

“The camper is part of our auto policy which includes the truck and another vehicle in addition to the camper.  Our insurance is provided by Geico.  We have previously insured a trailer with them and have been happy with the policy, service, and price, although we have never made a claim for either RV.  Our agent has always been accessed online and over the telephone, but there has never been a problem insuring the camper.” – Dave Neumann, 2010 Toyota Tundra, 2011 Adventurer 80GS

“Actually, the camper is covered under both our truck insurance and camper insurance!  When the camper is on the truck, the truck insurance covers.  There is a separate policy for when camper is off of truck.” – Denver and Linda Woods, 1997 Ford F350, 2001 Lance 1121S

“We have all of our insurance through CSAA.  We have never had to use the insurance but, when we bought a new camper last year, the price went up ten dollars, to thirty-five dollars a year.  The information shows up on our policy statement, so I am sure it exists.” – C. Lawrence, 2012 Ford F350, 2012 Arctic Fox

“Yes, I use Germania.  I have never used the policy.  They asked the original cost and insured appropriately with enough deductible to make it affordable.” – Jim Shivers, 2008 Dodge Ram, 2012 Lance 950S

“Yes, we insure our camper with Progressive Insurance.” – Claudio C. Gaunt, 2008 Ford F450, Citation

“We insure our camper as part of the truck insurance from USAA in San Antonio, Texas.  After multiple discussions with my insurance company discussing various scenarios such as a tree falling on it, auto wreck, etc., USAA determined that it’s covered by the truck insurance itself just as if I personal property in my truck and it was stolen.  It would be covered.  I also asked about it being in a campground off the truck and something happening, and they said it was still covered.  I spent a good hour on the phone with them and then a manager.  It almost sounds too good to be true as my cost of insurance did not go up as a result.  I offered to buy a separate policy, if needed, and they emphatically stated it was not.  USAA insures all current and former military and their families.  I have been with them forty-seven years for home, car, boat, stocks, you name it.  My eggs are in their basket.” – Don Pryor, 2011 Ford F350, Arctic Fox

“The camper is insured under a separate policy from the truck.  It and the car have separate policies, but all are insured by the same company, State Farm.  State Farm underwriters had trouble finding how to classify the truck camper.  They finally listed it as a towable, which we know it is not.  I had to bring in the sales brochure to the office to educate them.  Most of the staff had never seen one.  I am not pleased that they are basing the premium on a new camper and will depreciate the value if and when I file a claim.” – Don Udelson, 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 2005 Sun-Lite 955 SD

“First, I insured the camper with a major insurance carrier.  They will not insure any attachments or bed additions to the truck, including a hard or soft cover, tool box or truck camper.  In checking with the Good Sam insurance, the cost for a truck camper is expensive, and in excess of $500 per year for an actual cash value policy.  Since our unit is used less than six months a year, we have opted to self insure the unit.  We would be open to cost effective insurance options for our Lance camper.” – Warne Todd, 2000 Ford F250, 2005 Lance 981

“We insure the camper separately.  We use Geico and have been happy with service and price.  I believe the insurance guy in your article must work for Good Sam Club (actually GMAC, I think) who clearly doesn’t get truck campers as they will not insure unless you are insuring the truck also.  No amount of emailing, yelling, etc. will get them to stop sending promotional materials for a service they are not actually willing to sell me.  Believe me, I’ve tried!” – Ed Amato, 2000 Ford F350, 2011 Lance 1050S

“It is included in the insurance for the truck.  I discussed it with my State Farm agent and was assured that it was covered, almost as an accessory.  My agent seemed familiar with the concept of a slide-in truck camper.  The Lance is listed on the policy.  While never having made a camper related claim, I’m satisfied.” – Mark, 1999 Ford F250SD, 1999 Lance 920

“Because of the age of our camper, we do not currently have it insured.  Although it’s value to us is there, there’s no value to an insurance company.  We have had it insured in the past, at a cost of approximately $300 per year.  Even though a new refrigerator costs $1,200 when you install it yourself (a chore) they still value the total rig at about $2,000.  With the price of new campers being what they are, we would insure a newer rig.  Our current insurance carrier is Allied Insurance and we’ve had them for our camper before.” – Dave Pracht, 1994 GMC Sierra K3500, 1987 Lance LC900

“State Farm insures mine under my truck policy.” – Robert Hicks, 2008 Chevy 3500 HD, 2011 Lance 992

“I have no separate insurance on my camper.” – Dave MacArthur, 2008 Ford F350, 2010 Lance 992

“My camper is covered under my auto insurance.  Liability is automatically covered if it comes off the truck and does damage to other people or property.  But then I am left with a wrecked camper, that is basically covered for replacement and theft.  I have Allstate Insurance.” – Don Kingfield, 2008 GMC 2500HD, 2008 Lance 861

“We recommend that all of our customers check with their insurance company to see what their policy covers.  Some of our customers seem to be under the impression that their new or used camper will automatically be covered on their insurance policy, and in many case this does not hold true.  It is always better to check than to assume.  I talked to a customer a few years back that had bought a really nice used Four Wheel Camper and got hit by an uninsured driver (truck and camper totaled).  His insurance company covered his truck, but did not cover the camper, and the other driver didn’t have insurance.  He lost a big chuck of change due to no fault of his own, except for not adding the camper to his policy.  I have used AAA in the past for my campers at an approximately the cost of $12 a month.” – Stan Kennedy, Four Wheel Campers

“My camper is covered under our Allstate auto policy.  For Allstate, the truck camper is considered cargo.” – Bill Tex, 2006 Chevy Silverado, 2013 Eagle Cap 850

“I have no coverage at all, especially with the camper being twenty years old, even though it is in great shape.  My insurance company has told me the truck and its contents, including my camper, are covered.” – Philip, 2012 Ford F350, 1994 Lance Squire Lite 150

“I have Mercury insurance (who knew what a truck camper was).  They list the camper separately, but include the premium with the truck.” – Bruce Allison, 2000 Ford F350, 2012 Adventurer 910 FBS

“I have used Foremost Insurance for many years.  I don’t think they know what a truck camper is because they still list it as a trailer.  I pay a yearly premium of $423.  Several years ago I was glad I had them when a tree branch put a hole in the roof of my Lance Camper.  They were quick to respond and paid the full cost of the repair.” – Art Davidson, 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 2003 Bigfoot 30C1011SL

“I insure the camper separately with Progressive.  The agent knows it is a truck camper, but my insurance policy information is titled travel trailer.  I have never had a claim so I do not know how they process truck campers under trailer claim!” – Helen Scurzi, 1991 Chevrolet 3500, 2008 Lance 9’11”

“We have a policy on the camper and we have full coverage on the truck through Farm Bureau.” – Velina Racca, 2000 Ford F350, 2006 Lance 1191

“We had the insurance added it to our auto policy after, like you said, several minutes of “wah, wahhh, wah” on the phone.  But, the policy doesn’t actually list the camper even though the agent said it is covered, so, I don’t know.  Our auto, camper, and home policies are with Travelers Insurance Group.  We may be willing to talk to an experienced camper insurance agent about it.  We are happy with our auto and home insurance, but not sure about the camper addition since it isn’t actually listed on the policy (even though our policy cost went up).” – Ed Henry, 2014 Ram 2500, 2014 Northstar 850SC

“My camper is insured separately from the truck.  The camper is insured by Progressive Insurance.  What surprised me was that the customer service representative knew what I was talking about right away.” – Joe Johnson, 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 2014 Real Lite 1608

“My camper is insured as part of truck insurance when on the truck, and has a separate rider on homeowners when not on the truck.” – Stan Smelser, 2013 Ford F350, 2002 Fleetwood Elkhorn 9U

“I have regular RV insurance on the camper.  RV insurance through Good Sams Club covers a whole lot more than an auto policy.  Luckily I have not had a claim, but on the other hand, they have been good so far.” – Frank Mertes, 2006 Dodge 3500, 2006 Sunlite 955 SD

“The camper is insured separately on the same policy as the truck.  I was originally with Wawanesa when I got the camper.  I told them what it was and what it cost and my rate only went up $20 for the year.  I was skeptical over this.  So I called Geico and spoke to an agent that was licensed for both RV and automotive insurance.  My agent knew exactly what a truck camper was and created a policy for it.  For $230 a year, the camper is covered for comprehensive and collision, vacation liability ($10k), personal effects ($5k) and emergency expenses ($1k).  These numbers were based on my use estimate of about 120 days a year.  It would change if I use it more or less.  They’ll even create a Canadian policy when we need it.  I haven’t made a claim, but I feel much more comfortable driving around with Geico.” – Jason, 2012 Toyota Tundra, 2013 Phoenix Pulse pop-up

“I insure my camper separately for the full retail value.  It’s with Hartford through AARP.  I am very happy with their service and rates.  Yes, the agent on the phone knew what a slide-in was.” – Shelley Pike, 2009 Ford F-350, 2006 Lance 9SC

“The camper is insured separately.  Progressive carries the camper policy and a separate insurer has the truck policy.  Geico would not insure the camper if they were not insuring the truck.  I did the same song and dance with the individual on the phone that sounded like he was actually in a foreign country (use your imagination).  I have not had to put in a claim so I have no opinion on service.  I did make sure that the year, make, model, and serial number are listed on the policy.  That shows that the exact item they are insuring.” – Blitz Babilon, 2008 Ford F150, 2012 Lance 845

“Our camper is insured separately through our auto policy.  Coverage is full with a starting value of $58k.  I sent a date stamped picture of the inside and outside to our insurance company so they have a visual record of the condition for that policy period.  This will help as supporting documentation if you have a claim and the value needs verification.  We have been fortunate to have inside storage for this camper from the start.  That was not so with our previous Lance as it suffered the wear and tear of being exposed to the elements.  We use Safeco for our camper and everything else (bikes, home, cars, and truck).  They have been the only insurance company – that we’ve been with – where our renewals have decreased in the three years since switching to them.  I’m very pleased!” – Scott, 2007 Ford F350, 2013 Chalet TS116

“The truck insurance covers whatever we have loaded into the truck, so it is covered when loaded.  It is not covered when taken off the truck.  Simple ‘eh?  The insurance company is State Farm.  I happy so far with the insurance company.” – Robert Lawrence, 2004 Chevy 3500, 2002 Lance 1161

“It’s not insured.  When a branch fell on it, we learned from our insurance company that it would have been covered if it had been on the truck at the time it was damaged.  The camper is in need of restoration and repair where the branch hit it.  We’ll look into insurance when we get around to fixing it up.” – Grant, 2005 Ford F350, 1965 Avion C-10

“We insure the truck camper separately as a stand alone policy.  It is valued at actual cash value.  The group sales agent knew what a truck camper was, so we did not have to explain.  We have group rates from our former company Retiree Benefits Package through MetLife.  Our coverage is actual cash value at approximately $12,000 with a $100 deductible with broad form collision/comprehensive.  Our premium is $156 per year.  Road service is included through Ford Roadside Assistance.” – Phillip Chevela, 2012 Ford F350, 2005 Northstar Igloo

“We insure the camper with National General through Good Sam.” – Gordon Hansen, 2004 Dodge 3500, 2008 Arctic Fox 811

“The camper and the truck are insured separately as required by my Credit Union loan.  It was first insured by Liberty Mutual and now is insured by Amica, but it has a deductible collision and comprehensive policy.” – Tim Van Den Bos, 2001 Dodge 2500, 2005 Lance Lite 815

“The camper is insured with the truck, the same comprehensive and collision with endorsement spelling out the Lance.  It’s good on or off the vehicle to include storage, hail, etc.  I spoke to State Farm on this today.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable and explained it all.  I am very comfortable with my plan.” – Scott Young, 2014 Ford F250, 2014 Lance 855

“When the camper is on the truck, it is covered by the truck policy.  When the camper is at home, it is covered by the homeowner’s policy.  In short, I have no separate policy for the camper but all is covered by State Farm Insurance.” – Steven Cilenti, 1999 Ford F350, 2012 Arctic Fox

“It is insured as part of our truck insurance through Auto Owners.  I believe full coverage is less than $100 per year.” – Mike Shropshire, 2014 Ram 2500, 2014 Palomino SS1251

“I do not insure my truck camper at the moment but, if we decide to full-time, then I might reconsider my options.  I insure my truck with Geico, and I will be talking with them in the near future about additional insurance for the truck camper.  I know they offer it.” – Dave Gaskins, 2013 Dodge Ram, 1992 Lance

“I’m with Allstate in Montana and they just add it to the truck’s policy.  I got absolutely no “Wah Wah Wah”.  My agent knew exactly what it was and what to do.” – Rick Fletcher, 2014 Ram 3500, 2013 Arctic Fox 996

“I have USAA have had no problem insuring a truck camper as part of my truck insurance.” – Philip Tron, 2009 Chevy 3500, 2012 Lance 1050

“I am very lucky that USAA (my insurance folks) consider my truck camper just the same as a topper.  It’s on the truck so its covered.  The funny thing is my truck is old and I discussed this.  But they state that it’s covered up to its MSRP.  I am very happy with the service they provide me!” – Roy Del Pozo, 1999 Dodge Ram 2500, 2013 CampLite 8.6

“I was able to get a rider on my truck insurance with Farmers Insurance.” – Tom Rybarski, 2014 Chevy Silverado 3500, 2006 Lance 1181

“My camper is listed separately on my policy through California AAA, same as the preceding two campers that I have owned.  It is one of three items on my auto policy, the others being my truck and my car.  The only issue I had insuring my camper was the system used by the agent needed a VIN number, which doesn’t exist for my camper.  We eventually worked our way through it.  I have used AAA auto insurance for over thirty years and never had an issue, whether it was a truck camper, a flatbed trailer, a motorcycle, or any type of regularly-licensed motorized vehicle.” – David Schmitt, 2007 Ford F350, 2014 Four Wheel Camper Grandby

“The truck and camper are insured separately.  The truck is with TD insurance.  The camper is with RV Direct Insurance.” – John Hallett, 2011 Dodge 3500, 2014 Bigfoot 9.6 LB

“Our truck and camper are part of our auto policy.  The itemized coverage and deductibles are the same for our auto, truck, and camper.  Southern Owners Insurance Company out of Lansing, Michigan is a great company for sure.  Liability of the camper is covered by the truck policy.  Comprehensive is a $100 deductible for actual cash value of $12,530 and collision actual cash value is the same with a $500 deductible. The total cost is $151 yearly.” – Bob and Linda Robinson, 2002 Chevy 2500, 2010 Travel Lite 960RX

“The camper is insured separately with Erie Insurance.  I have never had to use it.  So, I guess it is okay.” – Woody Flickinger, 2003 Dodge 3500DRW, 2012 Arctic Fox 1140

“The camper and truck are insured separately.  It is through USAA insurance and their service is great.  It is always rated well in various magazines.  Armed forces service is required. ” – Bruce Gamsby, 2008 Tundra, 2008 Lance 825

“I have an umbrella policy that rides on my auto policy.  It is supposedly covered by my home policy when it’s off the truck and in the driveway.  I also hope to never need it because I think I’d also get a “Wa-wha-whaa?”.  I have AAA auto and home insurance with an umbrella/rider for the camper.” – Ron Williams, 1997 Ford F-250, 2003 Lance 1010

“Our truck camper is insured as a rider on the truck insurance for about $20 a year through State Farm Insurance.  My agent did know what a truck camper was.” – Phil Rodacy, 2013 GMC 3500, 2006 Okanagan 90W

“I insure them separately through Nationwide Insurance.  I feel better with it insured.” – Charles Wallace, 2011 Dodge 3500D, 2008 Lance 861

“We do insure our rig separately.  We insure our camper through AAA and have had great service from them.  They had no learning curve when it came to what a cabover camper was.  We are very pleased, and would recommend them to anyone.” – Laurie and JP Pedrick, 2010 Dodge Ram 3500, 2012 Adventurer 86FB

“I insure my truck camper separately at full replacement value.  It covers the camper on or off the truck.  The small print says that it is not covered when loading or unloading!  I have Formost insurance.  I think it’s a little expensive at $529, but to replace camper would cost $35,000.  I haven’t had to make a claim yet, so I’m happy so far.” – Gary Goyette, 2011 GMC 2500HD, 2012 Northern Lite 8-11 Queen Classic

“Geico has said that since it rides on the truck with no wheels of its own, the truck insurance covers it.  Man I hope so!  I have asked at least five different agents and keep getting the same answer.” – Tracy Schuster, 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500, 2012 Lance 992

“The camper and truck are covered separately.  They are only covered with the truck when on the truck, not when sitting in the yard off the truck.  Fire, wind, flood, or theft can still happen when sitting in the yard, but the truck insurance won’t cover them if the camper is off the truck!

I have State Farm Insurance.  I have been happy with them for over thirty-five years. Manufactured truck campers are listed in the NADA books as titled vehicles.  If the agent says they are covered when on the truck, tell them they are not covered for fire or theft when off the truck!  Just because they are sitting in your yard doesn’t mean they aren’t subject to damage!” – John W. Abert, 2001 Dodge Dakota, 2004 Northstar TC-650

“The camper is insured as part of my truck insurance.  It adds $21 every six months.” – Steve Lowery, 1999 Toyota Tacoma, 2010 Travel Lite

“We have no camper insurance.” – Ed and Terri Bruns, 2007 Dodge 3500, 2008 Lance 1055

“Our camper and truck are insured separately.  I’ve had Progressive Insurance for several years and am very happy with them.  Since I have never filed a claim with them they are probably happy with me, too.  Two things I like about the policy is full cost replacement for the first five years and vanishing deductibles if you don’t file a claim.” – Eldon Rhodes, 2008 Chevy 3500, 2011 Lance 1050

“We insure the truck camper separately.  We use State Farm and it was easy in New Hampshire to get it insured.  They knew about truck campers.  When we moved to Florida, they didn’t have a clue what we were talking about.  We had to pull out a picture!  They looked up the New Hampshire info, and copied it.  Bill Penney of Truck Camper Warehouse recommended we get separate insurance even though it should be covered by the truck insurance while it is on the truck.  However, it is not covered when you take it off.  Bill knew of a person who didn’t get separate insurance, hit a bridge, and the insurance company did not cover the camper, which was totaled!  A separate insurance policy costs us $116 a year to cover a $40,000 camper and provides us peace of mind.” – Jeannie Coushaine, 2001 Ford F350, 2012 Chalet DS116RB

“Our camper is insured on its own separate policy.  It is insured through Nationwide Insurance.  I am a Nationwide Agent and have been a truck camper user for many years.” – Tom Bushman, 1996 Ford F250, 2009 Lance 1040

“They are insured separately through Allied.  We are happy.” – Jim, 2011 Silverado 3500, 2012 Lance 1191

“Ours is insured separately on the same policy.  We have USAA and we are very happy with the coverage.” – Darrell, 2012 Ram 2500HD, 2007 Lance 815

“The truck is insured by State Farm.  The Lance 855S is insured by Progressive.  So far, so good.” – Richard Kouba, 2014 Ford F-250, 2014 Lance 855S

“My camper is insured as part of my truck insurance.” – Allen Jedlicki, 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2014 Wolf Creek 850

“My camper and truck are insured separately through National General Insurance.  I am satisfied with them so far.” – Alan Mueller, 2006 GMC 2500HD, 1995 Lance 945

“We insure the camper separately from the truck.  We wanted it covered just in case.  After all, one never deals with the insurance company except to pay the premium or unless something happens.  Our truck insurance company didn’t offer insurance for the camper.  We use Progressive Insurance.  They were the only ones who covered the truck camper as a camper.  The price is reasonable, and we haven’t had to use the policy, thank goodness!” – Don and Nancy Sutliff, 2004 Ford F250, 2013 Lance 860

“We insure the truck camper on separately policy and, with the same company, we also insure the truck.  The broker we use is a specialty broker who does a lot of Recreational Vehicle insurance.  Our broker is Wayfayer Insurance located here in Canada and they insure our truck camper with Scottish and York Insurance who are part of the Aviva Group.  We have had claims experience with them on another RV and found them to be very quick to respond and settled the claim directly with the repair company.” – Bill Billyard, 2000 Dodge Ram 3500, Forest River Real Lite 11.5

“We insure our camper as part of our pickup, which is what we were told to do by our State Farm agent.  When we purchased our truck camper, we asked our State Farm agent to insure it for us.  We were told that the camper was covered under our truck policy.  We confirmed this with our agent in writing.  Then, during a review of all of our insurance policies in July of 2013, the agent confirmed that our camper was insured under our truck policy.  Now we have had an accident which damaged our truck and camper.  State Farm is now saying, at least initially, that our camper is not covered.  We will see how this plays out, but needless to say we are not too pleased with State Farm.  After all, State Farm agents are supposed to speak for their company and are, I would hope, trained by their company.” – Firman Schiebout, 2004 Ford F-350, 2013 Northstar Igloo U

“I used to insure it separately with Progressive, but now insure it through Liberty Mutual along with my other vehicles.  So far so good, knock on wood, or fiberglass!  I have never had to use either company.” – Allan Riley, 2004 Dodge 2500, 2008 Northstar 8.5 Arrow

“When I investigated this question, I was told by my auto insurance company that the camper is insured by them as long as it is mounted on the truck that carries my vehicle insurance.  If I take it off the truck and park it on my property, it is covered by the home owner’s insurance policy that I carry on my house.  I have a feeling that there are some scam artists floating about who are trying to sell additional insurance packages that are not necessary.” – Gus, 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Lance 865

“In Saskatchewan your truck camper is 100% covered as long as you have a truck that the camper fits on and you have a package policy on the truck.  We had a big hail storm here last summer.  The camper was not on the truck at the time.  Our insurance covered both the truck and camper for damage and I only had to pay one deductible on the claim.  Our insurance company in Saskatchewan is called SGI, Saskatchewan Government Insurance.  We don’t have a choice.  If you have a package policy on the truck, your truck camper is covered.  Since the camper is attached to the truck when it’s in use, it is considered part of the truck.  You just have to pay one deductible on your insurance.  It works that way if the camper is on or off the truck.” – Brad Slatford, 1997 Ford F250, 1979 Edson 10.5

“Since the camper is alone when separated from the truck, I have insurance on it.  I feel more secure if it’s left in a campground.  Here we have a company that is specializes in RV insurance.  It’s Leclerc, and they are doing a great job.  As member of the FQCC, Federation de Camping et Caravanning, we have a 20% discount over the regular price.” – Richard C.Raymond, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, 2007 Palomino Winter Creek 11.5 RS

“It’s insured for $6,000 on my home owners and truck insurance.  After finding out my homeowners was only good for $500 of property damage, I’m told it is now covered on or off the truck, even in the woods in Maine.  I use MacIntire Insurance in Westborough, Massachusetts and the truck is insured through Commerce Insurance in Webster, Massachusetts.” – Jon Hight, 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, 2004 Adventurer 810

“Our camper is insured as part of our truck insurance, on our vehicle policy.” – D. Graham, 1997 Chevrolet Silverado C30, 2002 Lance 835

“I insure the truck and truck camper.  I have National Interstate Insurance company.  I also believe Good Sam insures truck campers.” – Joan Petteys, 2013 Ford F350, 2011 Arctic Fox 1150

“I found out the hard way a truck camper has to be insured separately.  After catching a gust of wind with a semi going the other way, plus bad karma, our roof bolts snapped.  I found out that our cheap camper was not covered under our truck insurance.  Lucky for us, my hubby is a wonderful fixer and we were able to repair the issues with little out of pocket.  Once our fifth wheel is sold, we will purchase a new Palomino SS1251 (anyone need a nice thirty foot fifth wheel?).  We will definitely purchase separate insurance for our truck camper.  Our agent is a swell gal, who grew up with my Dad selling insurance, so she knows her stuff and knew exactly what we had when we called up and explained our situation.  She’s been our State Farm agent for over twenty-five years.” – Cin, 2002 Chevy K2500, 1990’s Skamper six-foot pop-up

“My camper is covered as part of my truck insurance from Farmers Insurance Group.  Under J6477 endorsement, the loss payable at fair market value is up to $64,000.  The six-month premium is $257.30.  I only have an email from my agent that states the $64K limit.  It’s not printed on declarations page.  I also have J6673 customizing equipment endorsement on my truck for $6,000 to cover all the stuff I have added to truck.  I believe this cost is included in the premium.  Honestly, I am concerned with how they will determine fair market value in the event of a loss.  I would feel more comfortable with separate insurance from a company that I could garner RV customer claims experience.” – Ken Sanders, 2001 Ford F350, 2011 Host Everest

“My camper insurance is together with our 2013 Honda car, a 9,000 pound Carmate trailer, a 14,500 pound GVWR fifth wheel haul trailer, and the Chevy truck.  It all comes as a package.  Our insurance company is Atlantic States Insurance Company.  I believe this is a division of Donegal Insurance Company.  We like the agency, but we cannot get an answer on coverage if an accident occurs because we are overweight and illegal in Pennsylvania.” – Michael and Paula Mahle, 2009 Chevy 3500, 2004 Lance 1161

“We added our camper to our policy last year   We insure through Safeco Insurance.  They knew exactly what we were talking about without having to go into detail.  It is about $110 per year.  I don’t know what a newer camper would insure for.  Ours is a Granddaddy camper.” – Diane, 2008 Chevy 2500 HD, 1975 Volvo model

“In the event of an accident, you have to insure the camper or it is not covered.  I found that out the hard way after I was told the camper was covered when it was on the truck.  Not so.  I drove under a covered entrance way with my old camper that did not have the proper clearance posted.  The air conditioner unit was damaged and so was my roof.  The damage to the covered entrance was covered under truck insurance, but not our camper.  If it damaged the truck, which it did not, the truck would have been covered.  So get insurance on your camper.  It is not that pricey.  Progressive has great service and complete coverage that is covered at the stated value!” – Eric and Linda Anderson, Dodge 3500, 2013 Arctic Fox 990 Milestone

“My camper is insured with the truck through State Farm.” – Alston Hammons, 2007 Chevy 3500, 2007 Arctic Fox 1140

“The first couple of years I insured my camper along with my truck. However I wasn’t comfortable.  One reason was my agent didn’t seem to be concerned about the make, model, or year of the camper, let alone the contents.  He kept saying, “if it is attached to your truck, then you’re covered”.  My camper is on the ground when I store it and quite often when I’m camping.  So, what happens then?  Finally I was told, “well, you’re on your own”.  So I shopped around and contacted USAA insurance.  Out of all the companies I contacted, they were the only one who knew what a truck camper was.  Even the insurance company through Good Sam had some difficulty comprehending what a truck camper is.  Now USAA doesn’t insure RVs directly, they sub it out to Progressive.  If you are a USSA member, you get a nice discount with Progressive.  My annual policy is $190.

Just for information, in order to be a USAA member, you or your spouse must be active duty or prior military.  Now I have peace of mind knowing I’m covered when the camper is on the ground.  Anything could happen; fire, theft, vandalism.  My camper costs too much not to be insured.” – Dr. Dee, 2008 Ford F-350, 2008 Lance 1191

“I used to insure them together, but didn’t like the coverage for it.  Now I cover it separately.  I use National General Insurance (formally known as Good Sam’s).  It is covered just like an RV, but without the liability part.”
Jeff Lewis, 2001 Ford F-350, 2011 Lance 1181

“I just insured it last week as part of my truck insurance.  Apparently you have to notify your truck insurance even if you’re using a separate insurer for the camper.  Carrying the camper changes the coverage of the truck. At least that is what my broker said.  My broker at first said she did not expect Dominion to cover it, and to send her photos.  She phoned right back and said they did cover campers, only she had never seen one before.  The company itself was experienced with them.  I do not know how much it will cost extra as I have not been home to open my mail.  I am on the last day of my first big trip since becoming a truck camper.” – Michele, 2013 F150, 2002 Northstar TC800

“We have separate policies although we wanted all on one.  Our agent said it couldn’t be done.  Now we know why.  We had an accident and the insurance company charged us a $4,000 deductible; $2000 for the truck, and $2,000 for the camper.  We are not happy with their service.” – Randy Andres, 2009 Ford 350, 2003 Bigfoot

“I insure the truck and camper separately, with different companies.  We have used Aviva for many years now, with no problems.  But again, we’ve never submitted a claim either, so who knows how good they really are.” – Maaja, 2012 GMC Sierra 2500, 2014 Northstar 850SC

“No, it is cargo.  I have to store it with the truck, because the truck is insured.” – Ron Richardson, 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, 2012 Wolf Creek 850

“I insure the camper as part of my truck insurance, but with a value on each part.  Although we are in Scotland the insurance company is in England.  It is called Campton and specializes in American RV trucks and truck campers.” – Allan Huntly, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500, 2014 Chalet TS116

“I ran into the same thing followed by long discussions and confusion about what insurance might cover it when.  Frankly, I think the agents were making it up as they went since as soon as I asked for it in writing, I started getting a run around.  When I called Pemco they knew exactly what I was talking about and their computer had truck campers as a specific option.  I have the policy in writing, it doesn’t cost much, and I know I am covered.” – Brad Holt, 2013 Ford F350, 2013 Arctic Fox 1150

“Our insurance is through Hartford.  Three vehicles are on the auto policy, the sailboat has a separate policy, and so does the house.  When I called to add the truck and camper they asked if this was a fifth wheel or travel trailer.  I explained it was a slide-in camper that fits on a truck.  I had the distinct impression the agent did not have a clue what a camper on a truck was.  So after a brief spell of putting me on hold she said they don’t have a separate policy and that it would be covered under my homeowners policy.  So every year when renewal time comes I call to verify that my camper is still covered under homeowners insurance.  My policy runs $350 a year so that’s not so bad to cover our second home.” – Roger Odahl, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500, 2004 Eagle Cap 950

“The camper is insured as part of our truck on a Personal Lines Automobile policy.  The contents of the camper (household goods) are covered automatically under our Homeowners policy.  Both policies are written by the same insurance company which should avoid any of the nasty finger pointing between policies.” – Debi Long, 2013 GMC 2500HD, 2014 Lance 855

“Our truck camper was insured under the truck insurance.  However, it was not listed on the policy, which made the claim process tricky when we had our accident.  Our insurance company is USAA.  They now advertise that they insure truck campers separately.” – Greg Gaskill, 2000 Ford F250, Was a 2007 Travel Lite 890RX

“We insure ours separately through Farm Bureau Insurance.  The only complaint I have is when I purchased the insurance I was told it was about $70 for the year, and when the insurance renewed the next spring it was $140.  I think what happened was that we bought our camper in August of the previous year, so it was for a partial year.” – Marvin, 1997 Dodge 2500, 2000 S&S 9.5SB

“No, we do not insure the camper at all.  The truck insurance will insure it for $275 a year with a $500 deductible.  I only paid $2000 for my camper in 1990.  Why insure it?” – Rag, 2003 Chev Silverado, 1989 Sportsman 8ft

Truck Camper Chooser
To Top